Thursday, March 4, 2010

Books, books, books

For as long as I can remember I've loved to read. I learned how to read at a very young age, courtesy of my father and hooked on phonics. Once I learned how to read felt like I was on top of the world.. like I had opened the door and entered a world I had been watching but was never really able to participate in. I wasted no time joining in on the fun! In the mornings I would sit with my father or my grandmother while they drank their morning coffee, I would grab a section of the newspaper and begin to read it.. shaking my head along with them and sighing as I turned the pages, just as I saw them do. I'd usually attempt to discuss world events or whatever else I had just read even though I didn't fully comprehend all of what I took in.

Since then I read anything and everything I could get my hands on! Unfortunately once we had our second child reading just to read went out the window... and boy do I miss it! As a mother with 3 kids, reading isn't exactly high on my to do list. I don't have a lot of extra time to grab a book and read and the times that I do read it's usually a school textbook. I mean, I'm glad that I at least get to exercise my love for reading through my textbooks but I would be wonderful if, for once, I had the opportunity to read a book that I chose. I'm looking forward to the day when I can pick up a book (that I choose) and sit on the sofa in my quiet living room and just read! One day.... one day......

1 comment:

  1. Wow, we sound alike. haha. Except I just got into reading a few years ago. I miss writing. I always kept a diary when I was younger. Now with kids and school, I hardly have time. It was so easy to carry my diary around and just pull it out when I needed to write my thoughts down. Now, I'm more worried about making sure I don't leave the house without the keys and extra pull-ups. Sigh. The joys of motherhood. One day....one day.....

    ReplyDelete