Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Lord, grant me the ability to sleep!

I have been so tired and drained of energy lately I'm not sure how much longer I can function like this. Last week the youngest children (and dog) in our house seemed to have lost their minds! Our daughter decided she was going to start waking up every 3-4 hours (every night) just for the heck of it. She's determined to stay up for as long as possible, kicking the light up toys in her crib over and over and over again, making them turn on and off until she drifts off to sleep, only to wake up again a few hours later. The walls in our house are pretty thin so all night long you hear *thud* *THUD**insert shrill scream here* *thud-thUD-THUD*.  We've tried feeding her, rocking her, bringing her to our bed in the middle of the night, giving her toys to play with, turning the light on and playing with her so she can burn off energy.... nothing.. I mean NOTHING works! She just wants to be laying in bed kicking the crib toys on and off. We took them off for a couple of nights and she cried, hysterically, for way too long (our son loved those toys too and didn't like to sleep without them) Anyways, during her 3rd round with the crib toys (usually around 3 AM or so) her noises usually set off a chain reaction in which our 3 year old son and our puppy decide it's time to wake up and ask for breakfast. I wouldn't mind her beating her crib if she didn't wake Timothy and Andy-Bear. I think it's safe to say that out of everyone in this house they are the hardest to handle, especially at 3 AM!

So, my wonderful husband has to crawl out of bed and looks for his jeans, usually tripping over toys and making grumpy comments, so he could take the dog outside. Since the dog sleep inside he has to wait outside with him until he is finished doing his business. Poor, hunny... I feel bad for him standing out there with the dog in the freezing cold. I would do it, but I'm really afraid of the dark.. seriously... I am. We even sleep with a night light in our room.. (okay, that was probably TMI, but it's the truth) I know, my fear is totally irrational but it's been a fear of mine since I was little and I've yet to overcome it. So because of that, he takes the dog outside and I usually deal with Timmy the toddling terror! Who by the way goes completely insane when it comes to sleeping. He kicks, screams, fights and bangs his head when I try to put him back in bed! Trying to explain that it's nighttime and not morning to a 3 year old while dodging airborne Lightening McQueen's is NOT mine or my husband's idea of a good night's rest!! *sigh*

4 comments:

  1. Oh goodness! I hope you get some good sleep soon! My hubby handles the doggie duty in the middle of the night as well ... pretty ironic, I'm scared of the dark too! Hope the night wakings phase passes soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh... That is horrible!

    I have two awful sleepers myself and can totally relate! My hubby does doggy night time duty too - but usually becuase I don't hear her. Somehow the boys wimpers will wake me up, but the dog I seriously don't hear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! I'm not getting to sleep right now either. My baby is still waking up every 2 hours and making me sleep while holding him in the recliner... I hope you get some sleep really soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I hope we get sleep too and I'm glad to know my husband isn't the only one getting up in the middle of the night to take the dog out. lol

    ReplyDelete